All truth

Published on April 5th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Game Days (Buffalo): Truth Be Told, Likewise, Last Word

We love a good par­ty game- which we’ll de­fine as a game that’s good for a group larg­er than four, that isn’t par­tic­u­lar­ly strate­gic, and is easy to learn. We’ve seen lots of games that we love in this cat­e­go­ry, though opin­ions are cer­tain­ly di­vi­sive- Ap­ples to Ap­ples in­spires both love and hate, but is fam­i­ly-friend­ly, and our new fa­vorite game to bring out amongst adults is called Cards Against Hu­man­i­ty (high­ly rec­om­mend­ed).

The three games to­day are from Buf­fa­lo Games, and we’ll ad­dress each in turn. Truth Be Told is pret­ty straight­for­ward- a game with cards of­fer­ing in­com­plete sen­tences such as “My fa­vorite snack is __” or “My least fa­vorite house­hold chore is __”. Each turn, one play­er is the lead­er, and write their true an­swer, while oth­er play­ers of­fer al­ter­na­tives that they think are plau­si­ble (or fun­ny). Ev­ery­one votes, and points are as­sessed in the time hon­ored fash­ion- trick­ing oth­ers in­to choos­ing your an­swer earns points, no one can vote for their own of course, and choos­ing the right one al­so gets you points. Like Dix­it and oth­ers, it changes the game dras­ti­cal­ly if you re­al­ly know some­one, but it’s worse here- peo­ple who don’t know oth­ers will find them­selves kind of left out. Aimed at 3-8 play­ers, 14 and up, it’s a sol­id game with some de­cent ques­tions- but we would def­i­nite­ly pre­fer a fun­nier, more in­sight­ful ver­sion aimed at adults. $14 or so, avail­able on­line.

Like­wise, is, um, like­wise a par­ty game, though meant for slight­ly small­er groups of up to six. It re­quires a bit more room or set­up (but on­ly a tiny bit) as there are two decks of cards. A play­er grabs two, one de­scrip­tion and the oth­er a sub­ject (think ad­jec­tive and noun), and ev­ery­one then writes down an an­swer, or oc­ca­sion­al­ly draws it. The odd part is the scor­ing- play­ers earn a point if they have the most com­mon an­swer amongst the group. It meant that cre­ativ­i­ty was a lit­tle sti­fled, but it did work well for var­ied ages. The ma­te­ri­als are de­cent- dry erase mark­ers and pad­dles, and 71 of each type of card. Not ev­ery com­bi­na­tion worked, but most did- “goofy ac­tor” or “old book”, per­haps less so for “slip­pery su­per­hero”. Avail­able now, for un­der $20.

The last of the three is Last Word- and again, a sim­ple con­cept of cat­e­gories and let­ters, but with an ex­tra twist. Each of the two to eight play­ers is shout­ing out words for a giv­en cat­e­go­ry (an­i­mals, veg­eta­bles) that be­gins with a cho­sen let­ter. And the trick is the ran­dom timer- play­ers are com­pet­ing to be the last to shout out an an­swer be­fore it buzzes. Over­all, it’s a bit of a mix, since you might not want to be the first to yell, but in­stead wait un­til you can find a few in a row. But our is­sue was that larg­er groups re­sult­ed in some cross-talk, as play­ers say words at the same time, and then time can be wast­ed dis­en­tan­gling the or­der and avoid­ing du­pli­cates. Al­so, folks who are qui­et or shy, or those with over­bear­ing loud voic­es, can dras­ti­cal­ly change the game. You can al­ways cre­ate your own cat­e­gories, and it is quick- rounds last less than forty sec­onds so ev­ery­one can get in and play. Of the three, it was our least fa­vorite, but the most fun for a cou­ple of younger play­ers. Around $20, and over a mil­lion copies have sold.

Tags: ,