All zumba1

Published on March 29th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Zumba Fitness Rush: A Solid Workout

We’re big fans of the Kinect, Mi­crosoft’s mag­i­cal-cam­era-mi­cro­phone ac­ces­so­ry for the Xbox 360. Some games sim­ply use it to add voice com­mands, like Mass Ef­fect 3 most re­cent­ly. Oth­er games re­quire it, as it is es­sen­tial to the game­play. We’ve tried out most Kinect ti­tles, and love Dance Cen­tral 1 and 2, games that tru­ly en­gage your whole body and feel nat­u­ral. But they aren’t fo­cused on ex­er­cise- the work­out is in­ci­den­tal- so we de­cid­ed to seek out a ti­tle aimed at fit­ness.

Zum­ba Fit­ness Rush takes some of the gam­play from pre­vi­ous ti­tles (Zum­ba Fit­ness 2 on the Wii, most no­tably), but adds a lot of new stuff. There are ex­tra venues, of course, but al­so more im­por­tant el­e­ments like voice con­trol (de­cent, if not strict­ly nec­es­sary) and 10 new rou­tines. There are 42 in to­tal, and that’s be­fore you in­clude any of the avail­able down­load­able con­tent (DLC).

We boot­ed up the game and jumped right in. For those un­fa­mil­iar with Zum­ba, the idea is to take latin mu­sic and rhythms and com­bine it with dan­cy work­outs. The trail­er does a bet­ter job of ex­plain­ing it than we can. Since you’re us­ing the Kinect, you sim­ply use mo­tion con­trols to go through the menus, and the sys­tem does a pret­ty good job of rec­og­niz­ing your move­ments while work­ing out. You can do a sin­gle song, take a “class”, or go through a learn­ing mode to break down the steps. And the class­es are vari­able length- choose from 20, 45, or 60 min­utes. There are some statis­tics kept with the Progress Track­er, though we would’ve liked these to be a bit more like Wii Fit.

Lo­cal mul­ti­play­er is avail­able (two si­mul­ta­ne­ous play­ers), but no oth­er on­line mul­ti­play­er op­tions are in­clud­ed un­for­tu­nate­ly. Some of the back­grounds and en­vi­ron­ments are a bit dis­tract­ing. But over­all, this is a sol­id work­out pro­gram- we end­ed up sweat­ing and com­plete­ly were un­aware of the clock. It’s fun, easy to learn, and of­fers plen­ty to come back to. If you don’t feel like head­ing to the gym or find­ing a class, but al­so en­joy some lev­el of in­struc­tion, this of­fers much bet­ter feed­back and a lot more va­ri­ety than any video. Avail­able now, on­line and in stores, for around $40.

Tags: , , ,