All 35628_0

Published on March 18th, 2012 | by Greg

0

MadCatz: Gamer Gear For PC And 360

We’ve been do­ing a fair bit of gam­ing late­ly, with Mass Ef­fect 3 on the 360 and Star Wars: The Old Re­pub­lic on PC. And we’ve been test­ing out new gear for each sys­tem from Mad­Catz, a man­u­fac­tur­er that in the past few years has grown in­to one of the biggest and best in the ac­ces­so­ry mar­ket. At CES, we got a look at their up­com­ing line­up, and in the past month or so have been try­ing out two of their lat­est pe­riph­er­als.

The Mad­Catz Trit­ton Primer Wire­less Xbox 360 Head­set is not the cheap­est mod­el, nor is the best- but it does sit in a nice sweet spot of price and per­for­mance. There’s very lit­tle to dis­like about the pack­age, con­sid­er­ing the price, and we liked the fact that ev­ery­thing was in­clud­ed, even in­de­pen­dent game and voice vol­ume con­trols. The look and feel of these is some­what sim­i­lar to oth­er Trit­ton mod­els that we’ve tried out in the past- not quite as pow­er­ful sound as the 5.1 Call of Du­ty mod­el we saw, and not quite as rugged or com­fort­able as the Gears of War 3 ver­sion we re­viewed last year. But the cost is about half that of the sib­lings, and over­all, these were cozy enough for a mul­ti-hour gam­ing ses­sion with Com­man­der Shep­ard. The earcups aren’t su­per-large, though, so while one tester loved the fit, an­oth­er found them a bit small.

The mi­cro­phone folds down for chat or up to get out of the way. Folks on the oth­er end re­port­ed sol­id au­dio in-game, and while we didn’t feel quite the di­rec­tion­al pres­ence that helps nar­row down po­si­tion­ing, the bass was great and bal­anced, with voic­es and mu­sic com­ing through loud and clear. Their sys­tem us­es 5.8GHz wire­less tech­nol­o­gy, which of­fers some ad­van­tages over the 2.4GHz that is com­mon but does suf­fer from in­ter­fer­ence from cord­less phones and oth­er sources. The base sta­tion is sleek and good look­ing, even if it is an­oth­er box to find room for. Over­all, the Primer is a sol­id head­set, of­fi­cial­ly li­censed, with on­board con­trols for easy mut­ing and avail­able now for un­der $100.

But if it’s PC gam­ing you’re en­gaged in, and specif­i­cal­ly any mas­sive­ly mul­ti­play­er on­line game, we def­i­nite­ly sug­gest pick­ing up the Cy­borg M.M.O.7 Mouse. It’s a piece of hard­ware that could very well change your life. We’ve tried out the R.A.T.7 last year, a sim­i­lar mouse that re­al­ly al­tered our def­i­ni­tion of the hum­ble pe­riph­er­al. It took one of the best fea­tures of game pads- of­fer­ing more but­tons than you might need- but did so with­out mak­ing any­thing con­fus­ing, un­com­fort­able, or over­ly com­pli­cat­ed. The M.M.O.7 ups the ante, of­fer­ing three in­ter­change­able palm rests and pinkie rests, 6400 dpi pre­ci­sion, and five weight op­tions much like the pre­de­ces­sor but up­ping the num­ber of pro­grammable but­tons from five to thir­teen!

Of course, the soft­ware to con­trol it all is much the same- of­fer­ing a pret­ty good in­ter­face for you to set­up your macros and com­mands. There’s even an add-on es­pe­cial­ly for World of War­craft play­ers that en­ables you to drag and drop spells, in­ven­to­ry items and more with a sin­gle click. And the Ac­tion­Lock mode al­lows you to take your fin­ger off the trig­ger- or but­ton- mean­ing you can give your hands a rest while still stay­ing in the game- though it on­ly works for ei­ther of the main two mouse but­tons. As with most mice, this is a USB af­fair, and com­pat­i­ble with re­cent ver­sions of Win­dows (XP and new­er, 32-bit and 64-bit) as well as Mac OSX. Of course, not ev­ery­one will find the style to their lik­ing- it’s dis­tinc­tive, and very fu­tur­is­tic. And it isn’t wire­less, though in our tests, this means more re­spon­sive feed­back and bet­ter con­trol, plus the ca­ble is sol­id and plen­ty lengthy. It ran well, holds up to se­ri­ous ses­sions, and is quite cus­tomiz­able- worth it pri­mar­i­ly for the tar­get au­di­ence of MMO gamers, it’s funky de­sign and se­ri­ous fea­ture set means that oth­ers might very well en­joy it too. $130 on­line and in stores.

Tags: , ,