All final_morphology_game

Published on March 8th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Games and Puzzles: A New Game and Book

Whether you’re in the mood for read­ing about puz­zles or play­ing a game, we’ve got you cov­ered in to­day’s pair. Books and games go to­geth­er like wine and cheese- well, maybe not quite as close­ly, since you can’t re­al­ly have them at the same time. But we still think they are a nat­u­ral fit, and even more so when the book is about games in a sense. And you’ve seen plen­ty of board games grace these pages, but not one quite like this.

To­day’s read is The Puz­zler’s Dilem­ma, by Der­rick Nie­der­man, now avail­able in pa­per­back from Pen­guin. We liked the ex­plo­ration, even if it does get some­times dry. Start­ing with ‘Ear­ly Puz­zles’ and con­tin­u­ing on through sec­tions like ‘Kan­ga­roo Puz­zles’ (a bit con­fus­ing, but de­fined as puz­zles that con­tain the an­swers in­side), ‘Lat­er­al Think­ing’, and ‘The Hu­man El­e­ment’, the au­thor wan­ders ev­ery­where from cross­words to Jeop­ardy, the Mon­ty Hall prob­lem, rid­dles, and plen­ty of lit­er­ary ref­er­ences (Poe to Steven­son). At 213 pages, it’s beach read­ing for puz­zlers, and pret­ty great to pick up a few pages at a time to ab­sorb the an­swers. Best of all, you’ll learn some new tricks and puz­zles that should woo even the most hard­core fan of games. $11 or so.

If you’d rather leap in­to a board game this week­end, pick up Mor­phol­o­gy. It’s re­ceived rave rat­ings from Time (#2 Toy of the Year) and the Chica­go Tri­bune (top ten games to get a par­ty start­ed), and we can eas­i­ly see where the pos­i­tive re­views are com­ing from. Grant­ed, at first, it can feel a bit ran­dom- kind of like some­one threw a bunch of stuff to­geth­er. But with a bit more time, the care­ful plan­ning be­hind the ma­te­ri­als be­comes ap­par­ent. Much like oth­er par­ty games, you di­vide in­to teams of any num­ber (four or more peo­ple are need­ed), and you’ll be work­ing cre­ative­ly. Each round, one play­er from a team has a minute to have his or her team guess a giv­en word from a card. But un­like par­ty fa­vorites like Dix­it or Ap­ples to Ap­ples or Taboo, you won’t use words. In­stead, you’ll use the in­clud­ed balls, blocks, string, sticks, fig­urines, and cir­cles. There are fur­ther re­stric­tions or changes based on rolling the die- like be­ing able to use on­ly one hand or on­ly some of the ma­te­ri­als- but the rules are su­per-sim­ple and thus easy to learn. It can take on­ly a few min­utes to play, as well, and does chal­lenge your brain. The ma­te­ri­als aren’t great, though, es­pe­cial­ly the string (which is key). Still, it’s fun for groups of any age or even mixed ages, and we had luck with adults and kids alike. A good pick for any­one look­ing for a new and dif­fer­ent par­ty game. Avail­able now, $25.

Tags: , ,