All gamechanger

Published on January 8th, 2012 | by Greg

0

GameChanger: Turn Your iPad Into a Board Game

We’re all for fam­i­ly fun, es­pe­cial­ly when it can in­volve elec­tron­ics. But even we’ve seen plen­ty of board games at­tempt to use tech­nol­o­gy and miss the mark. Of course, the sword cuts both ways, and many tries at con­vert­ing board games to video game plat­forms have failed just as sure­ly. There have been re­cent suc­cess­es- Tick­et to Ride on the iPad is as fun as the orig­i­nal board game and much eas­i­er to set­up, and we’ve cer­tain­ly seen Triv­ial Pur­suit in our of­fice fall to You Don’t Know Jack.

To­day, we look at a prod­uct that tries to bridge the gap in a new way. The GameChang­er is es­sen­tial­ly a dock for your iPad or iPad 2 that turns the de­vice in­to the cen­ter­piece of a board game. You in­sert your tablet, load the app, and can play board games with re­al, phys­i­cal pieces on the play­ing sur­faces that fold out to ei­ther side of the iPad. There are mul­ti­ple game skins that you lay over the dock, al­low­ing you to choose from a small se­lec­tion of un­for­tu­nate­ly unim­pres­sive ti­tles. The pieces are love­ly though, and build qual­i­ty is pret­ty good.

We tried out two ti­tles that seems aimed firm­ly at younger kids: Mag­ic School Bus and An­i­mal Ma­nia. The graph­ics were cute, an­i­ma­tions and in­ter­ac­tive por­tions well done, but we weren’t quite sold. Chal­lenges like “guess the an­i­mal based on the sound it makes” and “guess the an­i­mal from the fur” were rea­son­ably en­gag­ing and ed­u­ca­tion­al. There wasn’t a ton of va­ri­ety though, and game­play felt strained. In a school set­ting, or with a group of sim­i­lar­ly aged kids, it might work fine- but cer­tain­ly no teenag­er or adult will find much to ap­peal yet in the GameChang­er.

The oth­er po­ten­tial pit­fall is the price- at $70 or more, it’s the price of sev­er­al re­al board games. There might very well be more to come here, any we’ll def­i­nite­ly be keep­ing our eyes open- though the sur­face seems a bit small for broad­er gam­ing pur­pos­es and the di­vi­sion of the board would be awk­ward in many cas­es. We can’t whole­heart­ed­ly rec­om­mend it based on the cur­rent li­brary, con­sid­er­ing the cost- but we def­i­nite­ly ap­pre­ci­ate the GameChang­er try­ing some­thing new and break­ing new ground in board gam­ing. And for those with iPads and younger chil­dren, this is a fun way to make it easy for two or more of them to play with­out fight­ing over the tablet.

Tags: , , ,