All gow3headset

Published on October 19th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Sound Off: Mad Catz, Xbox 360, Gears of War 3

The hol­i­days have be­gun, for gamers at least. Ma­jor con­sole and PC ti­tles are com­ing out, pub­lish­ers rush­ing them in­to stores to avoid com­pet­ing for the block­buster sea­son that is es­pe­cial­ly full this year. One of the first out of the gate is the Xbox 360 ex­clu­sive, Gears of War 3, the crown­ing game in the tril­o­gy so far, tak­ing the al­ready-slick cov­er-based game­play and adding some new eye can­dy and a sol­id sto­ry. We aren’t re­view­ing the game, though, but a pe­riph­er­al that is built to en­hance your ex­pe­ri­ence. Fea­tur­ing Dol­by 7.1, this is a head­set that can be a game-chang­er.

The Mad Catz Gears of War 3 Sur­round Sound Head­set is ac­tu­al­ly made by Trit­ton, a com­pa­ny ac­quired in the re­cent past by Mad Catz, and mak­er of some our fa­vorite gam­ing au­dio gear. It has the look and feel of the pre­vi­ous Call of Du­ty cus­tom mod­els from Trit­ton we re­viewed last hol­i­day sea­son, which hadn’t changed too much from one of our most-loved head­sets, the AX Pro. Some of the changes are pos­i­tive, some a bit un­for­tu­nate, but the bot­tom line is that this is an quite good head­set with on­ly a few things to quib­ble about. You’ll love or hate the style, de­pend­ing on how you feel about GOW3, but the back­lit lo­gos were a nice touch- even if the sheer quan­ti­ty of brand­ing was a bit over­whelm­ing. And while we missed the mul­ti-plat­form sup­port from some of the oth­er head­sets and weren’t sure how to feel about the left-side on­ly de­tach­able mi­cro­phone, we were im­pressed by the com­fort and sound of this set. Cer­tain­ly, you can use this mod­el with PC or PS3, but at least on the PS3, it’d be as head­phones on­ly.

Set­up is fair­ly easy, and it’s a wired mod­el so no bat­ter­ies are re­quired. On the flip side, the nice braid­ed ca­bling is a bit heavy, and can ex­ert some down­ward force on the head­set while it’s be­ing used. The head­set it­self is sur­pris­ing­ly light, and we weren’t sure how to feel at first about the ‘Dig­i­tal Au­dio Con­trol Box’, which was a lit­tle wob­bly when up­right but can eas­i­ly be set hor­i­zon­tal­ly. Full Dol­by Dig­i­tal and Pro Log­ic IIX sup­port is hard to find fault with- sounds are dis­tinct, am­bi­ent noise is nice­ly blocked out, bass is heavy and puts you in the game. We didn’t love these for movies or tele­vi­sion- they felt a lit­tle off-bal­ance with di­a­logue be­ing too bright, but that may be be­cause we’ve been try­ing out so many ex­pen­sive am­pli­fiers and oth­er au­dio­phile gear re­cent­ly. It’s not clear the 7.1 pro­vides any ob­vi­ous ben­e­fits over 5.1, frankly, but we could def­i­nite­ly ap­pre­ci­ate the sound­stage and ac­cu­ra­cy- shots and nois­es were high­ly di­rec­tion­al, al­low­ing us to quick­ly iden­ti­fy the source of any sus­pi­cious sounds.

The in­line re­mote con­trol is handy, if placed a bit odd­ly, and of­fers vol­ume con­trol, mut­ing, as well as an odd fea­ture called Se­lectable Voice Mon­i­tor­ing. This al­lows you to in­de­pen­dent­ly con­trol voice chat and in-game vol­ume, and we didn’t try it out much since we rarely had trou­ble with vol­ume lev­els. Folks on the oth­er end of our gam­ing ses­sions re­port­ed fair-to-good qual­i­ty from the mi­cro­phone, a bit of flat­ness and oc­ca­sion­al pops. If you’re still us­ing the de­fault Mi­crosoft head­set, we’re dis­ap­point­ed in you. There are so many bet­ter op­tions out there, and these are nice­ly padded plus sound great. The cups felt a bit small at times, but ev­ery­thing was pret­ty ad­justable, and the spare earpad was a smart in­clu­sion. At $190, these aren’t cheap- but are the per­fect gift for any­one who loves Gears of War.

Tags: , , ,