All whirled-peas

Published on September 10th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Weekend Retreat: New Board Games

Sure, school has start­ed. And fall is be­gin­ning to make it’s pres­ence known. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun! It might not be the hol­i­days yet, but there are still a few items re­leased in this twi­light-of-sum­mer. We’ve got two in­ter­est­ing new board games- and who knows, you might even learn some­thing from them! We saw both at the Toy Fair ear­li­er this year, and both are good games for fair­ly large groups.

The Whirled Peas web­site is pret­ty an­noy­ing- we men­tion this since it au­to­plays mu­sic, and it is a bit dif­fi­cult to fig­ure out how to make it stop. Al­so, the site isn’t par­tic­u­lar­ly con­vinc­ing, with an­i­mat­ed flow­ers, stretched puns, and the slight­ly dis­turb­ing roy­al pea mas­cot. Still, the ba­sic premise is cute, with the mas­cot as a plas­tic spin­ner and a bunch of fly­ing peas. The con­struc­tion and ma­te­ri­als are sol­id, and the theme grows on you. Al­so, we love par­ty games, es­pe­cial­ly where most ev­ery­one can play at once. For this one, you form two teams, and com­pete on five dif­fer­ent types of chal­lenges- and though a cou­ple are nor­mal ‘mime’ or ‘sketch-a-phrase’, one of them in­cludes put­ty and an­oth­er has you try­ing to fig­ure out what was drawn on your back. All in all, it’s good clean fun, and a nice con­trast to Ap­ples to Ap­ples and oth­er judg­ing-based games. It keeps peo­ple en­gaged, though we found the ‘Clap Trap’ chal­lenges to be a bit un-fun and a weird con­trast to the oth­er four. At $35, it’s a tough call- there are many great games out there that are more orig­i­nal or more suit­ed for spe­cif­ic au­di­ences. Diehard board gamers might not love it, but they might pre­fer it to yet an­oth­er round Cra­ni­um. 13+, four or more play­ers, sev­en peas in your pod to win the game.

On a sim­i­lar mixed note comes An­a­lyze Me Game from Blue Or­ange. This is the type of game that lives or dies on the strength of the ques­tions, and the good news is that there has been some re­al thought put in­to them. But the an­swers are a bit of a dif­fer­ent note, and you’ll see what we mean in a mo­ment.

The ba­sics of the game are the same. In­side the fair­ly small tin you get a bunch of cards, col­or-cod­ed in­to four cat­e­gories: work, play, so­cial, and pri­vate. The game is aimed at adults- 18 and over- so the ques­tions are at times a bit… well, adult. We tried it as in­tend­ed, with a group of four (three to eight are sug­gest­ed), and quick­ly found some weak points. For starters, each ques­tion has three pos­si­ble choic­es, but of­ten feel a bit con­strain­ing. Many times, it slowed the game down, or felt ar­bi­trary, as peo­ple were forced to choose some­thing that they didn’t re­al­ly be­lieve. You need to col­lect one of each type of card to win, and you do that by vot­ing on how you think the oth­er play­ers will choose. Thus, the guess­ing can be a bit ran­dom when play­ers aren’t act­ing quite in the spir­it of the game, or when some play­ers know each oth­er re­al­ly well, or sim­ply when you’re un­able to guess be­cause of the forced an­swers. We still had fun with it, just us­ing the cards in a more free-form two-play­er set­ting. As an arm­chair psy­chol­o­gy game, the me­chan­ic is on­ly so-so, but the idea is sound and there is still some de­cent re­playa­bil­i­ty. $16, avail­able on­line and in stores.

Tags: ,