All allies

Published on June 3rd, 2011 | by Greg

0

Empires & Allies: Zynga’s Failing Strategy

Zyn­ga and Face­book gam­ing are syn­ony­mous. Launched to fame for their ad­dic­tive and vi­ral so­cial toys like Far­mville and Mafia Wars, it’s been ar­gued that most of their “games” are not re­al­ly games at all, and that they are “craft and not art”. But they’ve clear­ly been mov­ing in that di­rec­tion, aim­ing to ad­dress the cries that they are “ru­in­ing gam­ing” and in­stead make a “hard­core game”.

We’ve been test­ing their re­cent­ly-launched new ad­di­tion, Em­pires & Al­lies, and have come away a bit de­pressed. Like many of their games, the graph­ics are im­me­di­ate­ly ap­peal­ing and the ba­sic premise is sound. But un­like much of their li­brary, this is meant to be a com­peti­tor of sorts for more se­ri­ous strat­e­gy games- beat­ing Civ­i­liza­tion World to the punch by launch­ing ear­li­er. And while many Face­book users might not be fa­mil­iar with the RTS (re­al-time strat­e­gy) genre and may nev­er have played Com­mand & Con­quer, there is no doubt that their games have been suc­cess­ful- 250 mil­lion play­ers each month can at­test to that.

Any­one even pass­ing­ly fa­mil­iar with oth­er strat­e­gy games will im­me­di­ate­ly rec­og­nize a few im­por­tant facts. The game­play it­self is fair­ly shal­low- most­ly click­ing here and there with lit­tle strat­e­gy or skill. And af­ter maybe an hour or so, you’re left with few op­tions- you’ll need to spam your friends to progress, or pay for the priv­i­lege. There are sig­nals ev­ery­where in­di­cat­ing that trade-offs have been made, usu­al­ly in­creas­ing com­plex­i­ty un­nec­es­sar­i­ly, and un­lock­ing reg­u­lar but mi­nor awards at play­ers to en­cour­age them to keep “play­ing”. It’s sort of like the junk food of gam­ing- if you took away al­most any strat­e­gy from Ad­vance Wars and paired it with some soft city-build­ing me­chan­ics. It can be fun, in a Minesweep­er, op­ti­miza­tion sort-of way, but the ar­ti­fi­cial lim­its im­posed by var­i­ous re­sources like “Lib­er­ty Bonds” and “en­er­gy” make it feel a bit like a drug be­ing pushed on you by a clever deal­er. Al­so, un­like the Ap­ple App Store, there is a bar­ri­er to con­tin­u­ing here that is pret­ty se­ri­ous- you can’t sim­ply buy the game and play for­ev­er, but are left in a sort of “sub­scrip­tion” fren­zy, nev­er quite in con­trol. The core au­di­ence, used to spend­ing $30-$50 at a time might not mind drop­ping a buck or two for a fun ex­pe­ri­ence. But there sim­ply doesn’t feel like there is much game­play for the mon­ey, re­gard­less of the cur­ren­cy ex­change rate.

Com­bat is pure­ly rock-pa­per-scis­sors, and pret­ty soft. The sin­gle-play­er cam­paign moves at a con­fus­ing pace- leav­ing some things un­ex­plained and mov­ing abrupt­ly through a tu­to­ri­al of sorts that feels a bit ar­bi­trary. For ex­am­ple- an un­known en­e­my at­tacks, but is eas­i­ly beat­en, to in­tro­duce the com­bat me­chan­ics. But the over­ar­ch­ing struc­ture is a bit un­clear at this point- Do we have to fight? Are there diplo­mat­ic op­tions? What hap­pens when I’m not play­ing? Why do I have to click three damn times to build some­thing?

For most play­ers, these ques­tions might not be so nig­gling. But this isn’t Far­mville- it’s a strat­e­gy game meant to ap­peal to more se­ri­ous gamers. And if we’re in the core au­di­ence, and are con­fused, then there is a prob­lem even be­yond the busi­ness mod­el. The badges, awards, and cute build­ings are fun- but they won’t be enough to en­gage the younger male gamers who can eas­i­ly turn on the Xbox or PS3. It’s a shame, as there are some good ideas lurk­ing be­hind the GUI. It runs smooth­ly, looks great, and has mo­ments of in­spi­ra­tion. But Em­pire & Al­lies rep­re­sents a world where roads are “dec­o­ra­tions”. Se­ri­ous­ly, they ap­pear to have no ef­fect on game­play, much like the guard tow­ers and flag­poles, and skill has lit­tle place.

Tags: ,