Gadgets sennheiser-pc373d-headset

Published on September 19th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Sennheiser PC 373D: A Solid 7.1 PC Gaming Headset

A top-of-the-line gaming headset needs to accomplish several feats- most importantly, offer pinpoint sound acoustic accuracy to help you figure out there enemy fire is coming from, as well as appreciate music, explosions, and basically enhance immersion. It should also be incredibly comfortable, since a typically gaming session can last hours. Some other typical audio functions- portability for instance- are less critical for gamers, and the aesthetics are certainly different from street headphones as well.

The Sennheiser PC 373D Gaming Headset, then, is built to meet the demanding standards of professional FPS players and Twitch streamers. It’s designed for use with the PC, with a USB dongle that serves as a soundcard and provides true Dolby 7.1 surround sound straight to your ears. There’s a noise-canceling boom microphone that can tilt up and out of the way when it’s not needed, and automatically mutes when you do so. Earpads and headbands are padded with velour, which feels soft and velvety on your ears, and they’re thickly cushioned and large enough to fit most heads and ears.

No matter what your game, better sound can help and Sennheiser knows how to deliver- helping to identify snipers in Overwatch or Call of Duty thanks to the three-dimensional sound field, or to enjoy the roaring effects of Battlefront. You’ll want to download the latest drivers for the 373D first, which offer some extras like EQ modes for music, e-sports, and general gaming as well as noise reduction options. In games like No Man’s Sky, we enjoyed the math-rock and cool tones, and it handled bass with aplomb in the new version of Doom. Now, this is a wired pair, and some may miss wireless features- and others might wish it was fully compatible with consoles like the Xbox One or the PS4. Mobile device cables or regular 3.5mm minijack plugs, as we’ve seen from some other gaming headsets in the past, would also have been a nice addition. There aren’t funky lights either, but volume controls are handily placed on the side of set.

We’ve seen plenty of Sennheiser gear in the past, including some of our favorite portable headphones. We appreciated the two-year warranty, and the flagship PC 373Ds are incredibly sturdy, reinforced in all the right places with hefty hinges and a body that reduces unwanted vibrations. A single button lets you switch between surround and stereo modes too. Voice communications were crystal clear thanks to the excellent mic, one of the best we’ve tried. Available only in black, they do have some nice red accents inside each cup. The Sennheiser PC 373D is available now online and in stores for around $249.95.

Tags: , , , ,