Gadgets 4a

Published on March 29th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Two From Western Digital: Xbox One Storage With My Passport X

If you’re a console gamer with an Xbox One, you’ve probably fallen in love with the updated processing power: high-resolution textures and graphics, HD sound effects, bigger worlds, and better framerates. But all of those advances come with a heavy cost, as your onboard hard drive, no matter the capacity, fills up quite quickly with saved games, downloaded files, your RockBand music library, and everything else. Especially when you’re downloading complete games via Xbox Live rather than using disks. So what is a gamer to do?

The answer: grab a Western Digital WD My Passport X, available in two or three terabyte models, and custom built for use with your video gaming console. With room for up to 50 Xbox One games (they average out at about 36 GB each) or five times that many Xbox 360 games, you’ll be able to grab a ton of indie and arcade favorites or download every expansion pack and DLC for your RPGs, MMOs, and FPS titles. As you might expect, you can also use this portable drive with your Xbox 360, or your PC computer, laptop or desktop, though only one system as a time as they all use slightly different formatting.

It’s a USB 3.0 5400RPM drive, so can transfer data fairly quickly- faster, in some cases, than even the internal disk in our tests. A fair question: what sets this one apart from similar models from WD or other companies? For starters, it’s missing the backup software that is often pre-installed on portable drives, but you probably won’t even notice. They also claim that it’s been “performance-tweaked to meet the desires of serious gamers”. You don’t need to worry about a separate power cable as the My Passport X is USB bus-powered for simplicity. Installation and setup are easy too- just plug and play and follow the quick instructions (or go Settings and your Manage Storage options then select the drive and”Format for Games and Apps”).

The color scheme and body match your console (at least, they match the basic Xbox One model). It’s quiet enough that you won’t notice, and although there is a fairly bright light, it’s easily blocked if LEDs aren’t your thing. Available now online and in stores, expect to spend around $100 for the Western Digital My Passport X 2TB, and a bit more for the larger version. It’s the perfect companion for any gamer who relies on their Xbox One.

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.