Gadgets MadCatz-RAT-Pro-X-pmw3310

Published on January 6th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Mad Catz R.A.T. Pro X: Future Proof Your Mouse

You’ve probably seen the deluge of news coming out of Las Vegas and the annual CES convention- gear galore, in every shape and size and in every category. New computers and tablets and smartphones and headphones- but much of it yet unavailable, shipping “soon”, or scheduled for later quarters of the year. Why not focus on the products that are available now, like the latest gaming peripheral from one of our favorite companies.

Hot off their hard work on Rock Band 4, Mad Catz is still in the business of creating some of the most customizable mice around, like their new R.A.T. Pro X, the top of their line. Yesterday, we checked out a serious gaming keyboard, and today’s mouse might not light up quite the same way, but it undoubtedly lit up our gaming sessions. We”ve seen a few others bearing the R.A.T. name, including their mobile version, but this new version definitely raises the bar. It’s configurable like the predecessors but adds a unique capability- you can now change your sensors, swapping the very core of your mouse for a new set of internals. And hydrophobic coatings keep your hand in place even when your fingers sweat.

Why would you do that? Good question! The basic idea is two-fold, ensuring that you can keep your mouse even as technology advances, simply purchasing a new sensor and popping it in. It also means you can choose from your favorite type, and while most folks might not have a preference, you’ll certainly develop one once you have a chance to try a few out. Both optical and laser sensors are available and we’ve been primarily testing the PixArt PMW3310, which offers 5000 dpi and won’t be too sensitive for regular, daily use. Lasers can be finicky, picking up the smallest motions, but are often preferred by serious gamers. No matter which component you choose, you can adjust your “lift-off”, which helps raise your mouse.

And as with the rest of the line, it’s incredibly configurable in every way. There are a couple of glide options (ceramic or Teflon), for those who like a little friction or those who prefer none. There are three included palm rests and the dual thumb rest panels, even three scroll wheels. They also included a small tool to help with your modifications, and even a little brush and a bag for carrying it around. Machined from magnesium, it’s a divisive industrial design, with a somewhat skeletal appearance that looks serious and definitely aggressive. The R.A.T. Pro X isn’t ideal for lefties, and there are options out there for MMORPG gamers with more macro buttons, but FPS and RTS gamers will be well-served by Mad Catz’ latest and it’s seven buttons. It’s a premium product with a price tag to match, and perfect for the hardcore gamer who wants to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their setup. Available now for around $199, shortly, online and in stores.

Tags: , , , , ,