Gadgets siberiaeliteprismreview2

Published on July 3rd, 2015 | by Greg

0

SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism: A Bright Gaming Headset

Gamers care about their gear- your average mouse, keyboard, or other peripheral won’t cut it when you’re counting on pinpoint accuracy, split-second timing, directional cues, and enough durability and comfort to handle all-night raids. We test computer and console accessories with a host of systems and a lot of games, from MMORPGs to first person shooters, MOBAs and real-time strategy. Different games might require different functions, but they all require basically the same hardware.

SteelSeries has made some of our favorite products for PC use, including mice, mousepads, and headsets. Last year, we liked the Siberia Elite, and they’ve just released an updated version, the Siberia Elite Prism Gaming Headset. Already one of the most comfortable on our shelves thanks to features like the suspension headband that can fit just about any size head, we were impressed by the improvements even to the memory foam earcups. The only major downside was- and is- the very large size, meaning they can be tough to travel with and look a little silly. They feel great though- and we still appreciated the adjustable LED lighting on each cup, customizable illumination with 16.8 million colors and nifty presets and transitions.

With two drivers, there isn’t the depth and detail we’ve seen in some systems, but these do offer true Dolby Pro Logic sound. There’s a USB soundcard which means it can work with your PC or Mac OSX laptop or even mobile devices, along with a PS4. The upgraded boom microphone’s audio quality is superb, and there’s a dial on each earcup, to mute the mic and adjust volume. One of the most unique features is the light on the end of the microphone- a quick glance at it indicates whether it’s ‘hot’, or unmuted. There’s a 3.5mm minijack port built into one of the earcups as well, which allows you to share your audio with someone else.

Plush earcups make for a well-isolated experience, blocking outside noises thanks to a closed-back design. The software itself is pretty cool too, with profiles that you can setup for different music genres or preferences, with a 10-band equalizer and even some noise cancellation options. Available in white or black, these are a wired headset so there aren’t any batteries to worry about. There’s plenty of bass to satisfy your ears during big explosions, and they are still among the coziest pairs in our arsenal. Available online and in stores now, expect to spend around $155.

Tags: , , , ,