Gaming header

Published on April 22nd, 2014 | by Greg

0

Games For Change: Now, In NYC!

It’s a fun world out there- but it’s not all games. That’s the message we’ve been taking away from the first day of the Games for Change festival, being held now through this weekend in New York, largely at NYU, in conjunction with the Tribeca Film Festival.

Thus far, Jane McGonigal opened the show with a compelling talk about games of the future- and we’re not talking about Call of Duty XXV, but new ways of playing, and how they will affect the world. And moments ago, we learned how a group is piloting a project in Jordan that takes Farmville-like mechanics but turns the city builder into a compelling way to inform players about civic engagement, working with NGOs to inform and educate about topics that make sense… and even drive real-life tasks as well, somehow using action to replace micro-transactions.

Tomorrow’s sessions include some networking and table topics socializing at local board game cafe, The Uncommons. And headliner Dan Ariely has a talk at noon, talking about how to modify behavior to improve goal achievement in the long term. Thursday, in Washington Square Park, a massive game called Feed will take place, with the aim of combating world hunger. Additional lectures on Prediction Games, Gender Inequality, and Emotional Storytelling are just a few of the others, and several interesting games showcased in talks are playable on-site here at the Skirball Center. With awards, and even an awesome outdoor arcade this Saturday, Games For Change is an important event- and you should definitely join if you can! Limited registration is still available, with great student discounts.

Tags: , , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.