Gadgets g4me-zero

Published on January 19th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Sennheiser G4ME One Headset: All For One

These past few weeks, we’ve found ourselves- and more specifically our ears- in some very nice places. We tried some of the highest-end headphones a bit over a week ago, and spent plenty of quality time with some sets that cost more than a used car, and sound like it. We also tried out some of the largest TVs in 4K resolution, just to see what the future holds, along with plenty of VR and wearable tech certain to change the way you work, exercise, and play. But it’s really the headsets that we keep coming back to, since they really can make a big difference.

Take the Sennheiser G4ME Ones, brand new units which we were thrilled to receive last month just in time for our annual holiday PC gaming binge. With a similar form factor to their previous PC360 models, but a far more refined color scheme and design, this is a natural evolution for Sennheiser. Best known for their audiophile gear- like the Momentum On-Ears which made our “Best of 2013″ gift guide- their gaming line feature two separate models now with a pretty clear division. The G4ME Zeroes- and sorry Sennheiser, we’re going with “GAME” from here on out- are foldable which is great for portability but a bit less comfortable and durable. Plus, they are a closed design, versus the open GAME Ones.

The new color palette adds a nice metallic red to the outside and a sleek red lining inside each leatherette, memory foam earcup. The microphone is large and sturdy, and rotates nicely out of the way, but is not removable. Nor is this a headset meant for taking on-the-go with your iPod- it’s built for gaming, but works surprisingly well for other uses as well. Whereas the SteelSeries Siberia Elite’s rated slightly more comfortable during marathon MMORPG sessions thanks to plusher ear cushioning, the GAME Ones took the lead solidly in audio performance, and are a headset we’d happily use for listening to music or watching movies. Bass response is top-notch, resonant and deep without feeling fake- the sort of bass you feel. And higher notes were accurate, crystal clear, with accurate sound staging, important for identifying those pesky snipers in FPS games. We played plenty of titles, including games like Assassin’s Creed 4 where dialogue and music are key and often can sound a bit jumbled with other headsets, but the Ones highlighted them nicely. Tracks from bands as varied as Smith Westerns and Ladyhawke sounded natural, with impressive acoustics, never boosted.

The flip-to-mute microphone is a neat feature, and we liked the easy-to-access rotating volume control on the ear. We definitely need to mention the clarity of the microphone- folks on the other end were impressed at how much better it sounded than almost any other headset we’ve tested, even while we were shouting at them to get out of the way. And we always love fabric cables, which not only look and feel nice, but hold up well and make less noise when moving. Complete with a two-year warranty, Sennheiser’s audio expertise has made these a winning combination. They might be a bit big and bulky, but the GAME Ones will impress any gamer. Available now for $250.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.