All 72022_office_elite_front_2

Published on March 26th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Playseat Elite Office: Game of Thrones

When you think of im­por­tant gam­ing gear, a few things leap to mind. Your mouse, key­board, gam­ing rig or con­sole are crit­i­cal- not to men­tion a good set of speak­ers or head­phones. An of­ten over­looked- but equal­ly im­por­tant el­e­ment- is your seat­ing. And, more broad­ly, this goes for work­ers and man­agers as well- a cheap desk chair is a poor in­vest­ment; buy­ing a qual­i­ty one is eas­i­ly worth it. Like a good mat­tress, ex­cel­lent seat­ing can be an in­vest­ment that you use for eight or more hours a day. And there are plen­ty of de­cent desk chairs out there- from high-end Her­man Miller to var­i­ous er­gonom­ic mod­els. What there wasn’t, un­til re­cent­ly, was a good desk chair that al­so of­fered the fea­tures that gamers need. This prod­ucts is aimed at those of you who just like stay­ing late at the of­fice to put in some ex­tra hours “work­ing” on Minecraft.

The Play­seat Elite Of­fice might not save the world- but it could change the way you play World of War­craft, or any oth­er game. PC gamers know what they need from a good chair- var­i­ous lev­els of ad­justa­bil­i­ty, arm­rests that are com­fort­able, sol­id cush­ions for se­ri­ous ses­sions. And the Elite Of­fice chair hits those marks, and goes a few steps fur­ther. It isn’t per­fect- it’s odd­ly un­even- but it is the best desk chair for gamers that we’ve seen.

We quick­ly re­al­ized that it wasn’t a chair to be tak­en light­ly. In fact, we had trou­ble haul­ing the box up our stairs, as it weighs some­thing like 70 pounds. Once we got it in place, we start­ed as­sem­bly, which was pret­ty easy and took maybe thir­ty min­utes to­tal. It’s nice that nec­es­sary tools were in­clud­ed, and the in­struc­tions were clear and con­cise (with one im­por­tant ex­cep­tion that we’ll dis­cuss soon). And you’ll quick­ly see where the weight is- the base is sol­id met­al (an­odized alu­minum), the bolts are big, and it’s clear­ly well-con­struct­ed. The rat­ing on the Elite is up to 270 pounds, where­as many of­fice chairs top out around 220.

We sat down, and no­ticed a few things im­me­di­ate­ly. First off, it’s com­fort­able, but it’s no Aeron. There isn’t quite the lev­el of ad­justa­bil­i­ty that ex­ists in some chairs- lum­bar sup­port is weird, and the vel­cro con­nec­tions make the seat squeak at times. The seat looks and feels quite a bit like leather, but is ac­tu­al­ly vinyl- it holds up well against spills and use, but is a lit­tle less com­fort­able or plush. The plas­tic holes in the head sup­port were un­nec­es­sary and un­com­fort­able, but they do look cool. The cast­ers are in­dus­tri­al strength, roll nice­ly, while weight is bal­anced well and even af­ter a cou­ple of weeks of heavy use the chair still looks new. Com­pared to oth­er mid-range desk chairs, this one looks and feels bet­ter, and it swivels more smooth­ly than any chair we’ve ev­er had.

So far, so good- but it’d still be just a pret­ty de­cent desk chair. In fact, the gamer-di­rect­ed fea­tures were a bit odd. There aren’t speak­ers built-in or any fan­cy giz­mos like that- the gam­ing ad­van­tages of this chair lie strict­ly in a spe­cial pair of re­mov­able A.A.R.M.S. [An­odized Alu­minum Read­justable Me­chan­i­cal Sur­faces]. No, we’re not kid­ding. Ba­si­cal­ly, you pop on these ad­di­tion­al heavy met­al pieces that can hold in­clud­ed sur­faces to serve as your mousepad or place for your key­pad or gam­ing con­troller. There are a num­ber of is­sues that we im­me­di­ate­ly saw- for starters, the in­struc­tions in­clud­ed in our box don’t ad­dress the A.A.R.M.S at all. We checked, dou­ble-checked, and though it was fair­ly easy to fig­ure out, it was still a weird omis­sion. We should note that our man­u­al did not say “Elite” and may have been an ear­ly mod­el. An­oth­er small is­sue is that many gamers al­ready have spe­cial mousepa­ds that they are used to play­ing with, with dif­fer­ent sur­faces for dif­fer­ent con­di­tions, and that it would dif­fi­cult to use them with this sys­tem. The er­gonom­ic place­ment of the mouse al­so did not feel bet­ter, even af­ter ad­just­ment- our oth­er hand was still on the key­board in our case, as the sur­faces aren’t re­al­ly large enough for a full-size key­board. This left our arms in dif­fer­ent po­si­tions, feel­ing a bit un­nat­u­ral.

Fi­nal­ly, for a chair with some clear at­ten­tion to de­tail and build qual­i­ty, a cou­ple of parts still feel cheap and serve to ru­in the over­all ef­fect a lit­tle. The seat can fold down and tilt back­wards in a pret­ty nice way, but the en­tire han­dle cov­er is chintzy. Al­so, it’s easy to grab that han­dle, pull up, and find your back sud­den­ly be­ing pushed for­ward with a fair bit of force- not a nice sen­sa­tion. Al­so, the pic­ture is a bit mis­lead­ing- the gam­ing sur­faces in­clud­ed do not look like what are shown in the pic­tures. We would’ve been able to pass over any of the lit­tle things as mi­nor and bare­ly wor­thy of note, ex­cept for the price. The list price on the Play­seat Elite Of­fice is $749- not un­rea­son­able for an well-made of­fice chair, to be sure, but a bit on the high side con­sid­er­ing the flaws. We found it on­line for un­der $700, avail­able in ei­ther black or white. It’s now our fa­vorite chair for PC gam­ing, and it looks pro­fes­sion­al enough that vis­i­tors can eas­i­ly mis­take it for a so­phis­ti­cat­ed throne. But a few small nig­gles keep us from whole­heart­ed­ly rec­om­mend­ing it, or re­plac­ing the rest of our fur­ni­ture.

Tags: ,