Gaming 357

Published on April 16th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Fun Fly Stick: Levitation Made Easy

The Fun Fly Stick from Unitech Toys seems appropriately named, even if it isn’t quite catchy. But between the slightly homemade feel of the device and the slightly goofy packaging, it’s clearly not a product designed by a major toy company with a big marketing budget. It’s good to see that independent inventors and creators can still get a product out there, and we’re happy to report that the device can beat the pants off of plenty of others that we’ve tried for sheer fun for all ages.

So, what does it do? Well, basically, it’s a wand and some mylar patterns. You press a button on the wand (batteries required, not included), and it charges the wand, repelling and electrically charging the mylar toys. The best part is that the mylar patterns now float pretty well and that you can use the wand to make them move about. Your hand and body (and most everything else though) will attract the floating toy and will cause the float to “stick” for a while or until removed.

It’s easy to use, safe, and pretty simple. Like most toys, though, it does quickly lose appeal. Younger kids might also find it difficult to use, as the mylar patterns are very easy to damage or lose (5 are included), and it’s not too difficult for the cardboard tube to become detached from the wand’s base. Also, it’s not a good outdoor toy, as the wind will quickly take your mylar toy away and overwhelm the wand’s effects. Overall, it’s a neat science toy, and even adults are wowed at first. $27, available online.