Gaming 385

Published on May 12th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Mild, Medium, or Spicy: Board Games For Every Palate

You’ll never meet a group of people that are suckers for games like those of us here at Truly Obscure. We travel across the country to get together, and end up spending our evenings playing games either at home or out in public. We’ve reviewed all different kinds of games, from card to video, and these games are no exception.

The first two games are from Blue Orange Games, YamSlam and FunDomino. Both games are very easy to set up, and have very easy rules, making them ideal for players of any age. YamSlam borrows components from games like poker and Yatzee. Five dice are rolled, and the player puts together number combos (full house, straight, pair etc.) that are worth points in the form of poker-style chips. You play until the chips are gone, and then the person with the most points wins. It’s a lot of fun, and a great choice when you don’t feel like digging through complicated or involved games. Second from Blue Orange is Fundomino. This is dominoes with a twist, literally. Again, quite easy to play, and with many rule variations, so that it kind of feels like you’re getting several games in one. The object, of course, is to be the first to get rid of your dominoes, and be the first to make it to 120 points. Both games can be played in less than 30 minutes, and with 2+ players. These two games can be purchased online from a list of retailers, or from local games stores. Expect to find them for between $17.99-19.99.

Last, but not least, is Wasabi! from Z-Man Games. In this game all the players get to be sushi chefs. A bit more involved than the first two, it’s also a very fun game, with beautiful artwork to boot. Be prepared to spread out to play this game, as it has many cards and pieces to it. Players will use the different ingredients to put together elaborate sushi, earning points for style, speed, and strategy in the process. Because it’s a bit more involved than your average game it may not be well suited for young children. Wasabi! takes around 45 minutes to play, and is for 2-4 players. Look for it online and in local game stores, for around $35.