Gadgets 257

Published on December 6th, 2008 | by Greg

0

Audio Overload: AX Pro Gaming Headset

Continuing our overview of neat audio equipment after our previous headphone and headset installment, we also wanted to include a less-known name that has nonetheless managed to cram 8 speakers into a heavy-duty, hi-fi, Dolby Digital 5.1 headset aimed at the gaming market: the Tritton’s AX Pro.

These babies are truly meant for marathon sessions- cushioned, comfortable, and adjustable. They also feature a 12-foot cable, easily able to reach across most living rooms, as Tritton is aiming not simply at PC gamers, but at owners of the Xbox 360 or PS3 that want high-definition audio. Setup is more complex than the normal headphone connector, as you’ll want to use the fiber optic (optical) connection for best results, but is still pretty straightforward. There is a receiver box which handles the inputs- including normal headphone jack, USB, and optical.

Unlike most other headsets, these don’t emulate surround sound- each ear actually has four separate speakers, allowing pretty rich, deep, and accurate surround sound. They are much, much more immersive than any earbuds or headphones, but there is a price to pay- they are also much larger, too large to fit in a pocket and definitely meant for home use. The included microphone is nice, but we were disappointed that it wasn’t as flexible as on other headsets- it can be tilted up and down, but stays at a fixed distance. Sound over the PSN and Xbox Live networks was good, with consistent volume levels and no pops, hisses, or much extra noise reported on the other end.

There are a ton of features to play around with- you can actually change the volume from each set of speakers, and the included in-line controller makes most functions easily available. One odd item missing from the controller is a power-off button, but it’s not a big deal- the headset does glow though. Bottom line: if you are tired of the stock headsets, and really enjoy long gaming sessions, the $160 Tritton AX Pro’s are perfect- just be prepared to get even more into your games.