Gadgets 101

Published on January 23rd, 2006 | by Greg

0

Cute (cubed)

The Cube People are coming. Simple, fun, cubic electronic toys, they come in pairs and are little more than LCD screens with 3 buttons and some magnetic connections on 4 sides. Yet they transcend their humble cubes and can escape isolation if you connect them together.

It sounds weird, and it is. You turn the brightly colored cube on, and a stick figure shows up on screen. He/she can do various tricks (there are currently four different types, defined by the special game they each play- a ball bouncing, a jumprope, etc). The neatest part is that you can connect them together with the magnets and they will wave to each other, eventually moving between boxes to play.

So it's not a cure for cancer… it is a fun, simple gadget that makes most people want to pick it up and play with it, though they can't often figure it out. Unfortunately, the games are too simple to have much fun with, and the motion sensors that you can use to tumble the stick people around the cube could have been used for better purposes.

Of course, this is just "series 1"- hopefully the next series will come out with bigger and better games and more interactive stick people. The concept is great- a neat way to build a world- and if you can add extra features like pets and build more interesting environments, the Cube World could really be fun.

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.