Gadgets didget_meter_0

Published on December 16th, 2010 | by Greg

0

Diabetic Testing Made a Little More Fun with Didget for the DS

We don’t be­lieve in horse­play when it comes to di­a­betes and blood test­ing. How­ev­er, more and more kids are de­vel­op­ing di­a­betes at a young age. Ac­cord­ing to the Amer­i­can Di­a­betes As­so­ci­a­tion, around one in ev­ery 400 Amer­i­cans age 20 or younger have a form of di­a­betes.

As more chil­dren de­vel­op blood sug­ar is­sues, it be­comes in­creas­ing­ly im­por­tant to find new ways to help­ing them to mon­i­tor their own lev­els. Bay­er has come up with an in­ter­est­ing way of get­ting kids’ to test their blood sug­ar lev­els in the form of a video game that is help­ful and about as fun at it’s go­ing to get for young­sters with the dis­ease.

The Bay­er Did­get Blood Glu­cose Me­ter con­nects to your Nin­ten­do DS (or DS Lite) gam­ing sys­tems in the form of the game Knock ‘Em Downs: World’s Fair. Kids are award­ed points for con­sis­tent­ly test­ing their blood sug­ar lev­els and meet­ing spe­cif­ic tar­gets. Kids can re­deem points to un­lock bonus lev­els and char­ac­ters. They can earn ex­tra points for the num­ber of tests per day and the min­i­mum time be­tween tests- pret­ty ba­sic stuff, but at least at­tempt­ing to add some fun to what can be a dai­ly chore.

You can plug in to your com­put­er and your child can use a spe­cif­ic pass­word to be part of the on­line Did­get com­mu­ni­ty that can con­nect them with a vir­tu­al sup­port group- as well as brag­ging rights if they have high scores on the World’s Fair game.

The sys­tem is aimed at chil­dren and teens aged 4-14. The Did­get us­es the same strips and tech­nol­o­gy as Bay­er’s oth­er di­a­betes test­ing sys­tems, like the re­cent­ly-re­viewed Bay­er A1C Now Self­Check, and we are im­pressed with the strides test­ing has made. Did­get’s test re­sults were giv­en in 5 sec­onds, which means that you aren’t go­ing to be bored wait­ing around. An ad­vanced mode is avail­able on the Did­get as well, that shows re­sults of pre- and post meal mark­ers, 7 and 30 day av­er­ages, and al­lows per­son­al­iza­tion of the ranges.

You can use the Did­get on its own with­out the DS, but that would kind of miss the point. We were able to pur­chase on­line for around $75, or even from some lo­cal phar­ma­cies like Wal­greens and CVS. The games might not qual­i­fy as fun, but we sup­port any­thing that broad­ens the video game eco-sys­tem, and en­cour­ages the use of in­ter­ac­tive de­vices in pos­i­tive ways.