Gaming 505

Published on August 11th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Quick Hits: The Conduit’s All-Seeing Eye

The Wii isn't exactly known for it's first-person shooters. That's why it was so refreshing to try a game that brought something different to the Mario-and-Sonic-Play-Wii-Fit-Minigames console. OK, The Conduit's single player game isn't particularly noteworthy, and the plot throws cliches around like they are going out of style. The AI won't impress fans of Half Life 2 or other shooters, and the graphics certainly don't hold a candle to Crysis (or even Halo).

But, the controls help make the game a blast, and the multiplayer is excellent- up to 12 players, plenty of game mode variety… if only Nintendo would drop the silly "friend code" system. Think Goldeneye, in some ways- graphically a bit dated, but with style. We took our time playing with The Conduit, and while it isn't the best title in the Wii library, nor is it the best FPS even of the last few months, it is the best FPS on the Wii and does try to be innovative in a couple of ways. In a world where cookie-cutter shooters earn sequel after sequel, it's nice to pick up and play a game that is simply pretty fun, and allows quite a bit of customization. It's also nice to see Washington, DC used fairly well in a game.

The All-Seeing Eye may turn out to be a bit less than hoped (no spoilers, we promise), but we still hope for a sequel. Our guess: Sega and High Voltage Software will come through. At $40 or so, it's definitely worth trying, and if you're a fan of shooters longing for a good reason to fire up the Wii, it's your best excuse.

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.