Gadgets 1376

Published on December 30th, 2010 | by Greg

0

Eitech’s Race Car Construction Set: Ja, Bitte!

The Germans are known worldwide for their engineering ingenuity. Some of us here at TrulyObscure daydream about one day owning our own BMW (take a spin in one and you will understand). Thus, it comes as no surprise to discover German metal construction toy company Eitech. Eitech offers a wide range of building sets for young, developing minds, ranging from their “Beginner” line of plastic sets for young children, to metal construction sets that include small starter sets, mid-range sets, solar sets, experimental electric sets, and large sets with over 1,000 pieces for the experienced builder. In fact, Eitech products are accredited and used in German schools (not a bad idea for the U.S. education system to consider).

We tried our hands at the Eitech Classic Radio Control Race Car Construction Set, designed for children 8 years and up. Including over 350 parts made of high-quality steel, we found ourselves both exhilarated and slightly intimidated. But, keeping in mind these sets are designed for children, we decided to give it a go. Thankfully, the set includes a step-by-step set of illustrated instructions. Instructions can be hit or miss (we’re looking at you, Ikea), but Eitech’s instructions were clear and easy to follow. What is great about this kit is that a variety of different race cars and off-road utility vehicles can be built. Once one car is built, it can be taken apart and a different vehicle can be made. The auto is powered by a 2-way remote control (batteries not included), and can zip along fairly fast. A 9-volt block battery is included to power the car. All necessary tools are also included in the set.

Our race car looked quite stylish and exceedingly shiny when we finished building it, attracting attention when we took this baby for a spin on the San Francisco streets. Amazon sells this set for $99.99 as well as a range of other Eitech construction sets at a variety of prices that can fit every budget. Other Eitech sets include locomotives, dump trucks, construction cranes, and nifty solar panel-powered vehicles and wind turbines. What better way to get the future generation to grow up green? These sets are a great gift to develop the minds of creative children and, for that matter, adults.